Thursday, May 7, 2020

Georgia's interview with her Grandma

Georgia interviewed her grandma about when she was young and amidst a polio epidemic. This isn't the first time in New Zealand that we have been involved in a global health crisis.

Polio Outbreak
When the polio epidemic broke out I was lucky enough to live in a remote part of the North Island where the epidemic failed to reach. Because I was a 17 year old nurse as the disease was ending I got the opportunity to take care of the recovering patients of the epidemic.
There was one specific 30 year old man that was recovering from the disease that I took care of, because of the disease the muscles in his legs had weakened to the point of not being able to walk. I took care of him and helped him gain a bit more leg muscle.
I found out that in 1956 people had stopped getting infected but the man that I took care of couldn't walk by himself and was still recovering in 1961. I was just glad that I could help closer to the end of the disease with the recovering patients. My family wasn't worried because they knew it was all under control and no one was catching it anymore.

 Grandma, 76 years old

10 comments:

  1. Hey my name is Aj and i am from Glenbrae school great job on doing an interview with your grandma keep up the great work.

    Aj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my name is Avania, I am from Glenbrae School,
    I really do love your story it is amazing, I love how you are looking after your grandma.
    Avania

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello my name is Ana and i'm from Glenbrae School,
    I really love how you presented your story and I like the way you look after your grandma while lock down.
    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello my name is Taylor nice writing hope you can do another one keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I am Taijah and I really like your writing about your grandmas interview keep up the really good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, my name is Alyanna and I am from Glenbrae school,
    I really love how you wrote the story from your grandma's perspective, It was really fun to read your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi my name is Rauru and I am from glenbrae school. I really love your story I really love your story about your grandam's perspective,it was fun to read and really great writing. Stay safe and keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! this caught my eyes keep this good work up what did the town/city look like?

    ReplyDelete